Friday, July 15, 2011

Land of Castles and Lions

Josh and I made the 15 km drive to El Barco de Avila to see it’s castle.  We walked around the castle but, as all good castles are, it was impenetrable.  No unlocked doors, no windows, no way to see inside. 



The atmosphere on launch is interesting. It feels more like an international fly-in now.  Some pilots still have the vigor to fly big distances while others are more subdued and content to stay close to home.  An impromptu task is usually called by our new self-appointed task committee, Yassen.  

The task for yesterday was a triangle around the Barco Valley. The interesting thing is that the turnpoints were only suggestions with alternates in case progress became difficult with the winds predicted.  That decision was to be made once everyone was in the air and on task. The idea was to have fun, stay together and fly xc.   Having multiple turnpoint options led to some pretty interesting happenings.  I asked Josh later in the day if he had won the task.  He responded “yes” with the disclaimer that he thought he might have flown a different task then everyone else but was pretty sure he was “WINNING!!!”  

Jack capitalized on the wind and flew with it to the pass at Tournavacas.  As for me, I was on task to see what was in that castle!

I found myself pretty low after leaving the ridge and finally managed to climb back out and was on my way.  In the distance I could see the castle, only two maybe three more climbs and I’d be there.   As I caught the next climb I realized this one would drift me right over the top  I laughed out loud and said to the sky “of course” as I peered into the castle to find nothing but an empty courtyard.  Again, paragliding proving to be a metaphor for life.

It reminded me of a conversation I’ve had many times with a certain someone, he knows who he is, about why we do this.  We do this because “we have to.”  Mostly, there is no great reward at the end.  Competition or not, we do this simply because we just “have to.”   Sometimes it’s uncomfortable.  Sometimes the reward is nothing tangible . But we are here doing this because we have to, it’s who we are.  I for one and still happy to be here in Spain.

Melanie

3 comments:

  1. Winning!! Ha!
    Glad ya'll are getting some good flying in.
    Thanks for the update!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...awesome view.thanks for sharing.
    Generic Levitra

    ReplyDelete